Local Turkey

Owners of homes damaged in Turkey wildfires to get new houses within 1 year

Gov’t has given 10,000 liras out of up to 50,000 liras to citizens affected by fires, says Turkish foreign minister

People whose homes have been damaged in the ongoing wildfires will be given new houses within one year at the latest, Turkey’s foreign minister said on Wednesday.

“The government has also been quick to provide financial aid, with at least 10,000 Turkish liras out of up to 50,000 Turkish liras already provided to affected families,” Mevlut Cavusoglu told reporters during an inspection visit to Antalya’s Manavgat district along with Ersin Tatar, president of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC).

He said efforts are continuing to douse blazes at three points in Antalya.

“The biggest obstacle right now is the wind,” he said, stressing that all resources are being utilized in the operations.

Cavusoglu said teams are carrying out damage assessment in the region and authorities will do everything in their power to fulfill the demands of all citizens affected by the fires.

TRNC’s President Tatar wished a speedy recovery to the entire Turkish nation.

He said the TRNC has been monitoring the situation with great concern since the first day and, as a show of support and solidarity, a TRNC civil defense team will assist in Turkey’s firefighting efforts.

Turkey has successfully contained 160 of 174 wildfires since last week, according to a Wednesday statement by the country’s Forestry Directorate.

Wildfires have broken out in 39 of Turkey’s 81 provinces, the authority said, with 14 blazes still raging in five provinces in southern and southwestern Turkey Antalya, Mugla, Aydin, Isparta, and Denizli.

Source
AA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button