4th edition of Sharjah Film Platform brings audience together with film program ‘Her Journey’ designed by Istanbul Modern Cinema
Istanbul Modern, Turkey’s first museum of modern and contemporary art, has signed a multi-year partnership with the Sharjah Art Foundation in the United Arab Emirates.
The first part of this collaboration, “Her Journey,” designed by Istanbul Modern Cinema, will be screened at Sharjah Film Platform 4 from Nov. 19 to 27.
“The Sharjah Film Platform is an annual festival organized by the Sharjah Art Foundation to support the growing film scene in the UAE by celebrating and sustaining the work of local, regional and international filmmakers,” according to the Sharjah Art Foundation.
“Her Journey,” curated by Muge Turan, film curator at Istanbul Modern, features five short and five feature-length film productions by women directors from Turkey.
Focusing on being a woman and the social and cultural roles of women, it also includes conversations with directors.
Another program, which will be prepared by the Sharjah Art Foundation and will feature productions from the Middle East and North Africa region, will be screened at Istanbul Modern in 2022.
5 feature-length, 5 short films
In the selection of Istanbul Modern, 2017’s Something Useful by Pelin Esmer, Amina by Kivilcim Akay and Sibel by Cagla Zencirci and Guillaume Giovanetti are also included.
The talk titled “Contemporary cinema in Turkey through the eyes of women” to be held at the Sharjah Film Platform on Nov. 26 as part of the 4th Sharjah Film Platform, brings together female directors and producers who have had smash hits in Turkish cinema. It will be attended by Kivilcim Akay, Sirin Bahar Demirel, Azra Deniz Okyay, Pelin Esmer and Cagla Zencirci and moderated by Muge Turan.
The productions in the “Her Journey” selection of Istanbul Modern, which will meet with the audience at the 4th Sharjah Film Platform, are as follows:
- Hayaletler (Ghosts), 2020: Director: Azra Deniz Okyay. Cast: Nalan Kurucim, Dilayda Gunes, Beril Kayar
- Kadinlar Ulkesi (Women’s Country), 2019: Director: Şirin Bahar Demirel
- Ise yarar bir sey (Something Useful), 2017: Director: Pelin Esmer. Cast: Basak Koklukaya, Oyku Karayel, Yigit Ozsener
- Amina, 2019: Director: Kivilcim Akay
- Sibel, 2018: Director: Cagla Zencirci, Guillaume Giovanetti. Cast: Damla Sonmez, Erkan Kolcak Kostendil, Emin Gursoy
- Buyuk Istanbul Depresyonu (The Great Istanbul Depression), 2020: Director: Zeynep Dilan Suren. Cast: Nazli Bulum, Kubra Balcan, Sebnem Hassanisoughi
- Cemile Sezgin, 2020: Directors: Aylin Kuryel, Rasel Meseri
- #21xoxo, 2020: Directors: İmge Ozbilge, Sine Ozbilge
My Elder Sister (Ablam), 2019: Director: Burcu Aykar. Cast:Devrim Eylem Seker, Defne Karagoz, Ayse Ayca Yeniay
Cadi Uclemesi (The Witch Trilogy)13+, 2019: Director: Ceylan Ozgun Ozcelik. Cast: Derya Pinar Ak, Tugrul Tulek